The Congregational Church of Manhasset, with a history that dates back to its organization in the fall of 1939, has accomplished great things in the community and in the world, touching the lives of thousands with the Christian message and in countless other ways.
Under the encouraging leadership of Ward Neil and Sherill Newton, an organizational meeting for a congregational-type church was held in August, 1939. At 4p.m., on the first Sunday of October, a family service was conducted at Munsey Park Center with an attendance of a dozen adults and five children. During 1940, our charter was granted on April 27, activities were moved to the Onderdonk Mansion, and Rev. Stephen Ayers was called as minister.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for our present building were held in May, 1948, and the cornerstone was laid on October 24. Dedication of the building followed on June 12 of 1949. During 1955, we dedicated a chapel, a church school wing, and a pastors study. In 1958 the Parish Hall stage was completed and in 1962 the pipe organ was installed and the chancel was remodeled.
Over the years, we have treasured memories of the dedicated service of a changing variety of assistant and associate ministers, directors of Christian education, choir directors and organists, and other members of a committed church staff.
As a community of faith, we look forward to the years ahead as we minister to members of our church family, to our communities, and to those throughout our world.